Mixed Feelings



The students shuffle into room 301
Their excited chatter expands throughout 
the room, drifting toward the windows and
 the bookshelves that hold all great ideas. 
They’re bright and beautiful as they share 
their lives with me. Six hours a day of 
learning to write together- which is really
 just learning to live, grow, and love 
together. We don’t really care about the 
definition of a noun but we care a whole lot 
about following dreams and understanding 
the world.

But I no longer shuffle into room 301 as my 
gaze drifts out the clouded window up to 
the familiar “A” that towers above Old 
Main. I don't hear endearing, identifiable 
laughter as my favorite colleagues turned 
best friends report homework mishaps and 
weekend plans. We used to spend hours 
discussing teaching strategies and fantastic 
young adult novels. We didn't really care 
about the definition of a verb but we cared
 a whole lot about following dreams and 
loving each other.


How is it that I crave the future while 
whole heartedly mourning the present 
that all too quickly turns into the past?

Comments

  1. Amazing writing. I've been thinking about your last paragraph all day. And also - how can I enjoy right now when it's so great and yet I know it is passing so fast...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage isn't Hard... Sometimes.

May Update

How's Married Life?